Noxubee County Sheriff Terry Grassaree said an argument between patrons led to the shooting death of bar owner Andrew Quintrell Sherrod Sunday night in a remote part of the county.

Sherrod, 34, was pronounced dead at Noxubee General Hospital after being transported by ambulance about 8 p.m. Sunday. An air ambulance was ordered, but was turned back after Sherrod died. Noxubee Coroner R.L. Calhoun transported Sherrod’s body to Jackson for an autopsy Monday.

A second victim, Deangelo Martin, was also shot, and is recovering at Noxubee General Hospital, Sheriff Grassaree said. Martin was shot twice in the leg and is expected to recover, the sheriff said. The sheriff said he hasn’t been able to determine an exact age for Martin, but estimates about 25. Sherrod and Martin are reportedly related.

Early Monday morning Sheriff Grassaree arrested Cedric Shantell Carter, 35, of Columbus. The sheriff said he has charged Carter with murder and aggravated assault. He was arraigned Tuesday morning and Judge Tim Gowan set the bond at $1 million for the murder charge and $200,000 for the aggravated assault charge. He is being held in the Noxubee County Jail. Sheriff Grassaree said Carter’s relatives in Columbus encouraged him to surrender at the Lowndes Jail. “We picked him up at the jail in Columbus and made it back to Macon about 2 a.m. Monday,” he said.

Carter’s wife, the former Lashonda McCoy, is originally from Macon, and according to Sheriff Grassaree, the argument ensued after Carter and his wife got into a disagreement at the nightclub Sherrod operates at 2334 Gillespie Rd. near Prairie Point in the northeast section of the county.

Coroner Calhoun said it appears Sherrod was shot twice in the abdomen. “One of the wounds could be an exit wound, but from my initial investigation it appears to be two gunshot wounds,” Calhoun said.

Sherrod’s Facebook page shows his nightclub, Cashey’s Bar and Grill, has been open since early 2016.

Sheriff Grassaree said there were other patrons in the club at the time of the shooting. Sherrod lives in a mobile home near the nightclub.

Sheriff Grassaree said information he’s received is that Carter was asked to leave and then returned with the gun. He said it doesn’t appear Sherrod or Martin had guns. “I believe Carter was the only one with a gun and the only one shooting,” Sheriff Grassaree said.