Hope Harrington Oakes
Carson Forrester, a recent graduate of New Hope High School was visiting Orange Beach, Alabama for his friend’s wedding when he got the shock of his young life. “It was our last night there, the car was loaded up and it was getting late, so we decided to go out and get something to eat. We were walking to the cars when I felt a sharp sting. I thought I’d been pinched by a crab, but my friend, Brody (Kizer) got his light and said it was a snake. We called his dad, Sam, who was in the condo who came down to kill it. Knowing that we needed to know what kind it was, when it tried to get away, Brody threw a water bottle at it and stunned him. We first thought it was a rattlesnake, but it ended up being a cottonmouth.” Both are deadly snakes and when Sam Kizer came to kill it, all he ad was a 2 x 4, so he put that to good use.
They rushed Carson to the hospital, where he spent the next two days in intensive care, due to the severity of the bite. He was bitten in his toe right next to a major artery. He said, “I could actually feel the poison moving through my foot, down the side and under it. It started to swell real bad.” They initially thought he could go home the next day, but had to keep him for further treatment. He now has to have his foot and leg checked on a regular basis, as well as having to have his blood checked for clotting due to the anti-venom he had to be given. He is about to attend Mississippi Delta Community College on a baseball scholarship and was worried the snakebite might hurt his training. After speaking to his coach, he has been reassured that his foot and leg should be fine, once the swelling has gone. His experience has left him skittish whenever he steps outside. “I’ve never like snakes, believe me, so when I go outside now, I’m always looking at the ground now, thinking ‘I hope it doesn’t happen again!’