by Steve Rogers/The Packet

Some convenience store clerks in Columbus are all smiles this afternoon after a man suspected of several armed robberies dating back as long as a year is arrested just hours after committing what police say is the latest in his string.

And Delvin S. Moore is no stranger to law enforcement with a record dating back to when he was a teenager, a record that includes auto burglaries and prior armed robberies.

“They got him? I’ve got to call my folks right now,” said the clerk at one of the markets where Moore is a suspect, her eyes lighting up at the news of his arrest.

Moore has been a suspect for weeks, but Columbus police have been piecing together enough evidence to lock down an arrest. According to a police press release, Moore helped them with at least some of that early Friday morning.

At about 1:10 a.m., the Sprint Mart at 1313 Highway 69 South reported a lone gunman entered the store with his face covered, demanded money from the cash register and fled.

Security video showed the gunman was wearing a plaid button-up shirt, green sleeves and jeans with his head and face covered.

At approximately 5 a.m., Lowndes County E-911 received a call about a motor vehicle accident on Pickensville Road. When officers arrived, they found Moore, of 1011 15th Street South. He was dressed in the same clothing as the robbery suspect. Officers also found on him the weapon possibly used in the earlier robbery and the stolen money.

Moore also is charged with the July 25 robbery of the same store and a customer who was in the store at the time, and possession of a weapon by a convicted felon. He also is suspected of robbing another Highway 69 South convenience store last spring and robberies of Riverhill Chevron and Cindy’s Shell on Main Street, although investigators still are putting together evidence against him in those cases.

His bond likely will be set next week.

Moore’s prior record dates back to his arrest for a string of auto burglaries and an aggravated assault in 2005. He pleaded guilty on May 19, 2006, to auto burglary. Two other auto burglary charges and an aggravated assault where he was accused of beating a man with his fists were retired in exchange for a seven-year prison sentence.

On Feb. 15, 2013, he pleaded guilty to robbery — reduced from armed robbery — in a new case from 2010 and was sentenced to 10 years with all but two years and nine months — the time he’d been in jail since his arrest — suspended.

Then on Dec. 12, 2013, he was arrested for armed robbery in connection with the Dec. 10, 2013, hold-up at Max Meats in Columbus.

But the victim in that case ultimately disappeared, forcing prosecutors to dismiss that robbery charge last year and at the same time, drop any attempt to revoke his probation from the previous 2013 sentence.

He was released from jail in December 2015.